Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Rural Eyeglass Project

The story begins in the predawn hours at an international airport.  Actually, the story began a long time ago, but today’s story begins at the airport.  I’m sitting on the floor with my $3 bottle of water preparing to board a flight to Mexico.  I’m abandoning all responsibility for a week of adventure and growth.  The anticipation has me remarkably awake for this absurd hour of the day.  


Destination:  San Miguel de Allende. 

Purpose:  The Rural Eyeglass Project - Photography workshop


An interesting combination... humanitarian work and photography.   We will be spending our mornings working in an eye clinic in the barrio, performing vision exams, distributing donated eye glasses, and training the locals to continue the clinic after our departure.  The afternoons and evenings will be spent in photojournalistic pursuits as we attempt to tell the story of individuals through images.  Of course, there will be time to soak up the culture of the town as they prepare for the Day of the Dead celebration.  


As I prepare to board, my head is swimming with questions.  

Will I remember enough Spanish?  

Are my photography skills up to the challenge?  

Who will I meet and what will their stories be?  

Can photography help save the planet?  

Can I help save the planet?  

Is the planet even able to be saved?  

And, did I pack the right shoes???  I only brought seven pairs in my little suitcase.  Well, six plus the ones on my feet.


Here we go...


  


No comments:

Post a Comment