Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Rover

"I'm a rover, can you love me anyway?"  -Great Big Sea

These trips nourish my soul.  They inspire me.  They make me want to continue to grow and learn and share.  Somehow, living in suburbia is like poking a pin sized hole in my soul and slowly, sometimes imperceptibly, life leaks out.  What happens?  It is a beautiful, no gorgeous, place.  I have incredible friends, a beautiful apartment, a good job, and lots of shoes (and places to wear them).  What happens?

Then I escape.  Escape is not the best word, but there it is.  I get on a plane, or a train, or a sailboat, or drive to a place that requires four wheel drive, and life returns.  Terrifying, heartbreaking, glorious life!  I meet people who cause me to think, or ask me to give without actually asking, or remind me that life is so much bigger than we ever imagined.  

But then I turn to share my latest epiphany or joy or fear with the person who shares my heart, and there is no one there.  

I'm a rover...can you love me anyway?   

That's a rhetorical question...

No comments:

Post a Comment